Monday, April 16, 2007

Carlos Arias on achieving his 'signature shots'


Written by Michael Morris Thursday, 29 March 2007

Edward: Welcome to Connex247 family Carlos. It’s such a great pleasure to have you here in the site. Let’s start up with your personal interests. Tell us about yourself, hometown, etc.

Carlos: My Name is Carlos Arias, I am 21 years old and I was originally born and raised in “El Molino” (Small town in Chihuahua, Mexico). I have been doing photography for about 4 years and I enjoy every second of it!

Anything in the visual world attracts me… anything that my eyes notice is a source of new ideas for images that I want to create with my subjects and my camera. I also have a personal interest in writing and directing. I have new interests on a daily basis, my brain works in mysterious ways, so I never know what will catch my interest the following day; photography seems to be the only continuous pattern of amusement and attraction.

Edward: How did you become interested in a career as a photographer?

Carlos: My interest for photography evolved from desperation of wanting and needing to pass a class in high school in order to graduate. Ironically, photography was the only class I got a "D" in High School. My teacher Becky Sachse encouraged me to retake the class for a better grade. I think I put extra effort into it the second time around; I have yet to put my camera down. Now the world is the one grading me on my talent.

Edward: Do you think that digital era really helped the photographers concerning aspects like quality and technology?

Carlos: This is a tough question for me. As an artist I believe that the quality of a piece is judged by the tools provided when created. Some of the most amazing famous photographs were created ages ago with the most simplest of equipment; It is the talent and creativity of the photographer that makes an image, not the technology of the tools.

However, from a business perspective, digital photography is much more effective in time saving and faster delivery anywhere in the world. Anything that saves time is a wonderful thing; We humans rely on that.

Edward: In your opinion what were the most remarkable achievements in photography in the last decade?

Carlos: I must say that digital cameras and editing software are the invention that made this visual world a better place to live. Anything that cannot be composed of real life sceneries, locations, subject, looks, colors, textures, etc. is now simply a few clicks away in any computer.

I do believe that artists who developed amazing talents by digitally editing and manipulating images to perfection should have the respect they deserve. It is a different kind of art on a digital level, but not everyone can do it; it still takes patience, creativity, talent and everything else needed in any type of artistic field. All of my work is obviously digitally enhanced (not changed), it is the style that fits my taste, not everyone may be a fan of it but that is what makes this field so diverse.

Edward: What do you look most when selecting models to shoot?

Carlos: I have an obsession for perfection. It can be a “perfect” face, or body, or a pair of eyes, perhaps a smile or a great attitude. Everyone who I shoot has something so unique and beautiful that no one else does. Most of my artistic work is of the male body. I am very strict with the way they must look (body and fitness wise).

I am a perfectionist on my side of the deal; I want them to be a perfectionist on their side of the deal. It seems like a lot of work sometimes but at the end, when my clients are happy with the results and my models are happy with the way their images turned out, that is our biggest reward for our hard work and sacrifices.

Edward: I’m sure u might have some unusual/funny backstage stories. Share some of them with us?

Carlos: OH BOY, I wish I could share all of them but there are so many of them. A good experience is shooting in a lake in the middle of December… that can make your body shake in ways you didn’t know humans were capable of. I think what surprises all my new models the most and creates a funny reaction is the type of oil I use on their bodies to create the “wet” look. Pam cooking spray is my best friend for every shoot. They may think at first that I am cheap and that is all I can afford, but when they see what it does to their bodies under the correct light… then they fall in love with it too.
EYE DROPS!!! I always use eye drops to make their eyes clear before a shoot…you will be surprised of how afraid some of these guys full of muscles are of such an insignificant little drop.

Edward: What are your favorite male/female models/ what do u like most about them?

Carlos: MALES: Channing Tatum & Shemar Moore are the two most beautiful men I would shoot for days and days and days (lunch break) and days and days… I don’t even know how to describe what I like about them. I can just stare at them for hours and be ok with it. I hope that explains it.

FEMALES: Gisele Bundchen is the ultimate female model I would love to work with. Her elegance and attitude shows through her powerful eyes in every still photo taken of her. As far as her runway performance… well, she is a walking Goddess.

Edward: What advice would you give to models and to the aspiring ones?

Carlos: Over all, modeling should be seen as any other profession. Professions require time, commitment, responsibility, dedication and passion. It is not always about the look you have but also about the brain and personality attach to that face/body.

The photographer’s camera never lies, it captures everything within you… some models think that I am simply photographing their physical appearance… when in fact; I am photographing their entire essence. A positive mind will create a positive image.

Edward: There must be special moments when you feel that you have captured a perfect picture... Share this passion with us. How does this special moment happen?

Carlos: I call those my “Signature Shots”. When I bring the camera to my eye, and I realize that at that moment within the frame everything is in balance (lighting, location, subject, energy and expression) my facial expression changes instantly. The model always knows when I realized I have a signature shot. Imagine the face of a 5 year old on Christmas morning, when he realizes that the bike he has been waiting for all year is finally there next to the tree. That’s my face! It is in moments like that when I realize that I am creating something unique that will never be duplicated… even by me.

Edward: If you could select 5 fantastic places around the world for a shooting, which ones you’d choose and why?

Read More:

http://www.connex247.com/c-now/carlos_arias_on_achieving_his_signature_shots.html

No comments: