Thursday, March 8, 2007

Maurice Townsell: Manhunt finalist also loves sports









Written by Edward Carl
Wednesday, 07 March 2007
Edward: Hello Maurice, welcome to Connex family!. Let´s start our interview with your personal and professional interests. Tell us: how do u describe yourself.
Maurice: The best way to describe me is very laid back but at the same time always hustlin to try to get to the next level of what ever it is im trying to succeed in. I have always been athletic my whole life and very competative. I think that is why i will be able to make it in what ever im doing in my life time.
Edward: Why have you decided to be a model? How this vocation arose? Is it a tough career? What kind of sacrifices this career demands?
Maurice: Actually i really never thought of being a model. I have always wanted to be a professional athlete. But things happened that down the road that changed my path. My ex girl friend is the main reason i got into modeling. I went with her a few times to her agency and everytime I showed up with her they would always ask me to work with them. I turned them down a few times because I was playing football at the time. After I was done with football I thought to myself hey it would be kind of fun to be a model.
I showed up to the agency again and told them I was ready and from there on out I started to work with Nike and adidas in portland. One day in portland I was approched on the street by NBC and they asked me to try out for the T.V. show Manhunt "The search for America's most gorgeous male Model" Placed third on the show signed with IMG new York and became an even more succcessful and now am currently on the Janice Dickinson Model agency. So I was very lucky that modeling found me.
It can definitely be tough at sometimes but you just got to keep on pushing just as any job can be. But for the most part I really enjoy it because I get to travel around a lot and meet new people.
One of my biggest sacrifices for modeling would have to be my love for sports. Even though I still play basketball a lot I really do miss playing football. Actually I have been talking to an agent about going to a NFL combine and might get back into it. But I will still def keep on modeling.
Edward: How would you rate importance of beauty and elegance in your life? Do u think beauty really helps a person to be well succeeded in a career?
Maurice: I think beauty is important on the outside as well as inside. I have seen many beautiful people in my life that could easily be models but surprisingly not all of them are beautiful on the inside. Looks will def help you out in the world weather you modeling, acting, singing, dancing, or trying to persue your dream job. But if your ugly in the inside it will def show and very much make you look ugly on the outside.
Edward: What is your greatest inspiration, your greatest professional dream like a model? Which modeling agencies, fashion campaigns and designers u´d like to work for?
Maurice: My greatest inspiration in my life is easily my mother. She raised both me and my younger brother without a father figure and did a damn good job at it. I also look up to my uncle jo jo Townsell. He was a member of the NY Jets and was a success on the team. He really helped me to have that drive in life.
If I could get to the level of Tyson Beckford in my modeling career I would feel like I was successful in this career. I'm trying to bring that back. Just being in this industry I see a lot of male and female models that are really really skinny. Some just are which is fine. Some try really hard too which I hate to see because they just don't seem happy. That's one of the main reasons I like what Tyson was in the industry. I know I will never try to get skinny I'm satified with the way I am now. I mean if I have to grow my hair out or something like that ill do it. But losing weight is a negative for me. As long as I look in shape im happy.
I love the agencies that I am currently represented by. As far as designers I would love to work with Calvin Klein, Sean John, Dolce and Gabbana, Roberto Cavalli, Donna Karen, Ralph Lauren, Nautica, Nike, Adidas, Enyce, Ecko. I have already worked for a few of the designers but love them all.
Edward: Family, friendship and human rights: how do think the world is dealing with these two subjects in the society we live?
Maurice: Wow that is a tough question. You know I used to be a direct sales person and I have spoken to many many many people. Todays time is just so different. Poeple are so different where ever I go. Life styles, ethics, rules, discipline. I could talk about this topic for a long time. If I were to get into it I would have probably wrote a novel lol.
Edward: Are you a guy into sports? What do you like to do in your free time?
Read More:

No comments: